The primary purpose of a garage is to keep your car safe. However, many people use residential garages as storage spaces. And when you store things prone to damage from weather, you should insulate your garage door. An insulated garage door will make your garage cooler, quieter, and more energy-efficient.
If you wonder what that means and how it works, we provide you with the ultimate guide on insulating garage doors for you.
What does it mean to insulate your garage door?
It means preventing the heat from going out during winter and coming in during summer. It keeps your garage warmer in winter and vice versa during summer. This way, it helps you to save a lot of money on maintaining your house’s temperature. You can also do it by sealing air gaps in your garage doors using various materials. The level and quality of insulation are measured in R-value.
Types of insulation
- Batt insulation: It is made of fiberglass, paper, and foil. It is inserted into the exterior walls of the garage and is quite flexible. It has an insulating value of up to 4-R, and it costs between 30 to 40 cents per square foot.
- Foam board insulation: They are made with polystyrene foam. Its primary benefit is that it provides relatively high insulation with less thickness than other types of insulation.
- Reflective insulation: It has rigid boards and polyethylene bubbles wrapped in reflective foil on one or both sides. Its most prominent feature is it reflects radiant heat, making it ideal for areas with harsh summer.
Pros and cons of garage door insulations
- Reduced energy costs: An insulated garage door can minimize the use of an HVAC system in your home by keeping it cooler or warmer according to the weather, saving you a lot of money.
- Less noisy: An insulated garage door makes a lot less noise than other garage doors. It also blocks out most outside sounds, making working in the garage a calming experience.
- Increased durability: Insulated garage doors come with a metal frame that increases their impact resistance and resistance to elements such as rain, snow, and wind. It enhances the lifespan of your garage doors.
- Costly: The only disadvantage of getting your garage door insulated is that it is expensive, but the benefits it provides are worth the money you will spend on it.
What are garage door insulation kits?
These are DIY kits for those who want to insulate their garage door themselves. They are simple to use, and you won’t need professional help to do it. But it can be tricky to select the right insulation kit for your garage door. So do thorough research before getting one.
About Unique Garage Door Services
Do you want to get your garage door repair insulated by professionals? If yes, please reach out to Unique Garage Door Services, the best garage door installation company in Fort Lauderdale, at (954) 703-4054 or (305) 459-390. We also offer garage door installation and maintenance services to our clients.